June 26th, 2018
Worldwide, more than 50 million people are living with Alzheimer’s and other dementias. During Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness month in June, the Alzheimer’s Association encourages people around the world to learn about and spread awareness. This month, go purple and inspire action.
Alzheimer’s is a disease that attacks the brain. The most common form of dementia, Alzheimer’s is not a normal part of the aging process. The disease affects memory, thought process, and behavior, and is serious enough to interfere with daily life, progressively worsening over time. The sixth leading cause of death in the United States, Alzheimer’s has no cure.
- 5.7 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease, including 94,000 Minnesotans aged 65 and older.
- Every 65 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s.
- One in three seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia, killing more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
- Deaths from Alzheimer’s disease increased 123% between 2000 and 2015.
(video: Alzheimer’s Association 2018 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures)
Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month
The Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association suggests these ways to learn more and get involved during Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month:
- Spread awareness of the 10 Ways to Love Your Brain – it’s never too early or too late to develop healthy habits, and combining these habits, like regular cardiovascular exercise, a balanced, healthy diet, challenging your mind, and getting enough sleep, can help reduce risk of cognitive decline.
- Share facts about Alzheimer’s.
- Get inspired by powerful stories of people sharing their experiences with the disease.
- Go Purple – wear the official color of Alzheimer’s awareness and turn your social media profiles purple as well.
- Participate in The Longest Day event on June 21 in honor of those facing the disease. Select any activity that you love (or one loved by someone affected by Alzheimer’s), raise money to advance the cause, and share your story.
- Attend events that raise awareness throughout the month of June.
Memory Care at Arbor Lakes Senior Living
Arbor Lakes Senior Living offers exclusive Memory Care apartments with full 24-hour staffing. Our trained staff members provide care and activities designed to meet the evolving needs of individuals experiencing Alzheimer’s, dementia, or other memory loss. We’re committed to providing high quality, safe, compassionate care so that our Memory Care residents live happy, healthy lives. Contact us to learn more about our Memory Care program.Read More
June 25th, 2018
What a fun past few weeks at Arbor Lakes Senior Living!
The “Pool Sharks” of Arbor Lakes Senior Living meet every week to enjoy a friendly game of pool!
Arbor Lakes Choir
The Arbor Lakes Tenant Choir brought joy to many at their performance of “A Night at the Movies.” Their collection included melodies from movies spanning many decades like “Hakuna Matata” from the Lion King.
Father’s Day Social
We tip our hats to all of our fathers at Arbor Lakes Senior Living.
Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Arbor Lakes Senior Living took a trip to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum to enjoy the beautiful summer sights and blossoms. Following the tour of the gardens, everyone enjoyed a delicious lunch on the tea room patio. We could not have asked for a more perfect summer day.
Fly Like an Eagle Paper Airplane Contest
Our residents gathered to create their own paper airplanes. Each pilot sent their airplane to flight, soaring from the 2nd-floor balcony to the lobby. The first flight competition was aimed at a distance, and in the second, residents tried to land their planes on or near a target. Ray H. won the distance contest, and Lynette won the target contest. We all had a great time!Read More