Month: June 2017
June 21st, 2017
Devika Narayan, one of our volunteers at Arbor Lakes Senior Living, has been crowned the Miss Teen Minnesota 2017! She will go on to compete in the National Competition in West Virginia in August. She will be competing against all of the other states in our country as well as other candidates from many other countries. Her “platform” for the pageant is Alzheimer’s and Dementia which is something she is very passionate about. Devika has been a great volunteer that has inspired so many at Arbor Lakes with her positive and compassionate outlook in life. She has touched the lives of many of our tenants. We couldn’t be more proud of her and wish her the very best of luck in the next level of competition.
Devika came to share time and photos with our tenants and talk to them about her pageant experience. Congratulations Devika!Read More
June 20th, 2017
June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month, an opportunity to learn more, take action, and spread awareness of Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
Alzheimer’s is a progressive brain disease that causes problems with memory, thought process, and behavior. It is the leading cause of dementia, a general term for loss of memory and other cognitive abilities. Alzheimer’s is not a normal part of aging. People with Alzheimer’s experience issues with memory, communicating, learning, thinking, and reasoning that are severe enough to impact work, social, and family life.
There is currently no cure for Alzheimer’s, although as our insights into the disease continue to develop, there are new treatments on the horizon.
- More than 5 million Americans have Alzheimer’s disease, including 91,000 Minnesotans aged 65 and older.
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States.
- Every 66 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s.
- One-third of people aged 85 or older have Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
- Approximately 200,000 Americans under the age of 65 have Alzheimer’s disease.
https://youtu.be/aLsVS0lrRD0 (video: Alzheimer’s Association 2017 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures)
Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month
The Alzheimer’s Association Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter offers suggestions of ways to learn more get involved during Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month:
- Spread awareness of the 10 Ways to Love Your Brain – it’s never too early or too late to develop healthy habits, and combining these habits, like regular cardiovascular exercise, a balanced, healthy diet, challenging your mind, and getting enough sleep, can help reduce risk of cognitive decline.
- Share facts about Alzheimer’s.
- Go Purple – wear the official color of Alzheimer’s awareness and turn your social media profiles purple as well.
- Participate in The Longest Day event on June 21 in honor of those facing the disease. Select any activity that you love (or one loved by someone affected by Alzheimer’s), raise money to advance the cause, and share your story.
- Attend events that raise awareness throughout the month of June.
Memory Care at Arbor Lakes Senior Living
Arbor Lakes Senior Living offers exclusive Memory Care apartments with full 24-hour staffing. Our trained staff members provide care and activities designed to meet the evolving needs of individuals experiencing Alzheimer’s, dementia, or other memory loss. We’re committed to providing high quality, safe, compassionate care so that our Memory Care residents live happy, healthy lives. Contact us to learn more about our Memory Care program.Read More